What Should You Do After A Car Accident?

Jacksonville Cerebral Palsy Lawyer

Cerebral palsy is a debilitating disorder than can affect people’s lives in many ways. It is caused when the motor control centers of the brain, including the cortex and cerebellum, are damaged. Symptoms are usually present at birth or soon after; it is virtually unheard of for a person to develop symptoms of cerebral palsy after the age of 3.

Sometimes the brain damage that leads to cerebral palsy is caused by a neonatal physician or an OGBYN medical worker. When that happens, Jacksonville birth injury lawyer Don Guthrie is prepared to fight for victims and their families. Contact our offices at 904-296-1088.

Causes of Cerebral Palsy

Medical researchers are still trying to pinpoint the cause of most causes of cerebral palsy. However, certain factors have been shown to contribute to the development of this disorder. Some of these factors can be caused by negligent healthcare providers, such as:

  • Hypoxia (when a child does not get adequate oxygen during birth)
  • Central nervous central infections, in either the mother or child
  • Birth trauma

Approximately 75% of cases of cerebral palsy are caused by illness, injury, or other factors during pregnancy. The remaining 25% are caused by injuries during or soon after childbirth.

Consequences of Cerebral Palsy

The symptoms of cerebral palsy can vary widely depending on the exact location and extent of the brain injury. Some of the most common symptoms include:

  • Muscle spasms
  • Difficulties with balance and gait
  • Partial paralysis in one or more limbs

Cerebral palsy is also commonly linked to secondary conditions such as epilepsy, behavioral disorders, mental retardation, and heart problems. Parents of children with cerebral palsy spend an average of $921,000 throughout their lifetimes on medical care and therapy for their children.

Contact Us

If your child has developed cerebral palsy due to medical malpractice, we can help. Contact Jacksonville cerebral palsy lawyer Don Guthrie at 904-296-1088.








Privacy Policy
 
Bank of America Plaza at Southpoint
6622 Southpoint Drive South #150
Jacksonville, FL 32216
Phone: (904) 269-1088
home  |  firm philosophy  |  attorney profile  |  practice areas  |  articles  |  faqs  |  contact us  |  blog  |  legal colleagues  |  Find us on Google+ | sitemap  |  Log in

© Copyright 2008 The Law Offices of Donald D. Guthrie. All Rights Reserved.
The Law Offices of Donald D. Guthrie |  6622 Southpoint Drive South #150 JacksonvilleFL  32216 |  Phone: (904) 296-1088 |  Directions | Don Guthrie+

Maclenny | Jacksonville Beach | Lake City | Middleburg | St. Augustine | Ponte Vedra Beach | Orange Park | Yulee